It’s very likely that right now you don’t have the slightest idea what a Bosu is. This is quite common and you don’t need to worry. The Bosu is a very common object in gyms or fitness rooms with a very easily recognizable shape. I’m sure you’ve seen it thousands of times, but the problem is probably that you don’t know its name. The Bosu is a device in the shape of a half sphere or ball. It’s a half-sphere that looks like a fitball cut in half. A support has been added to this half ball on the surface of the diameter, surely now you know what we are talking about.
The Bosu is an item that is very often used in Pilates sessions. It is an object that helps us to improve our balance and allows us to work much more intensely. However, you should not think that Pilates is the only sport that uses this object, as this is not true. Fitness workouts, maintenance gymnastics, physical therapy sessions, and many other types of practices also use it.
Now, as with fitball, to use a Bosu correctly, you need to know what you do and how you do it. Throughout this article we explain how to use the Bosu in pilates.
What do you need to use the Bosu in pilates?
- A Bosu
- Comfortable clothing
Instructions for using the Bosu in Pilates
- The first thing you should do is rehearse in front of a mirror. This point is more important than it might seem at first. By rehearsing in front of a mirror you will be able to observe your movements and correct them as much as possible.
- Before you start using the Bosu in your Pilates practice, you should have been practicing this sport for a while. As we never tire of repeating in our articles about pilates, we are facing a rather hard and demanding sport. Using the Bosu further complicates all the exercises. Therefore, it is advisable that you know how to perform more or less each exercise before starting to perform them with the Bosu.
- It’s a good idea to take off your shoes to use the Bosu. When using this item, you will find that it is quite difficult to keep your balance on it and the operation will be a more difficult if you slip on your shoes. In this way, it is much more advisable that you use it barefoot. If you’re cold, you can use yoga socks with a pretty good grip.
- Don’t use the Bosu if you’re afraid. A common fear is that of slipping, falling, and hurting yourself. No one forces you to use the Bosu and therefore you should only use it if you really want to.
- By standing on the Bosu, you are working on your balance but you are also strengthening all your muscles that will be in tension.
- You can also use the Bosu lying down by placing your stomach on the surface and trying to raise your arms and legs.
- Another fairly common exercise is to stand on all fours on it: with your knees and hands on the surface of the Bosu.
Tips for using the Bosu in Pilates
- Remember that the Bosu is not a toy. As with fitball, sometimes we may think that we have an item with which we can have fun and play. This is not the case. It is an object for sports that can even be dangerous if used incorrectly. For this reason, you must be very careful when using it and you should only use it in the way indicated by your instructor of pilates or other sport.
- It is best to have a Pilates instructor who can supervise your activity. Although this is not essential, you should remember that Pilates is a much more complex sport than people think and that each exercise must be done paying close attention to each posture. The same goes for exercises in which you include the Bosu.
- Learn much more about Pilates in our dedicated Pilates category