Gymnastics is a beautiful sport that requires discipline, perseverance and dedication. It is also a dangerous sport, because in it we are putting almost all the muscles and tendons of the body to the limit, but with care and preparation we can become great athletes in this field.
Far from what you think, gymnastics should not be started only from a young age, in reality it is a sport that can be started at any age, it also provides numerous benefits for the body and mind, such as the development of flexibility and mobility, which prevents our muscles from atrophy by not using and training them.
It is also a very economical sport, since you can develop it without having to buy equipment unless you want to complicate the exercises or use equipment.
Follow these steps on how to start practicing gymnastics and start putting them into practice!
What do you need to start gymnastics?
- Working on Strength and Flexibility
- Using gymnastic equipment such as bars or hoops
- Practice in a safe space
Instructions for Starting Gymnastics
- To start practicing gymnastics you can choose to do it at home or in a park, following the instructions of tutorials that you can look for on the internet or there are even books with which you can learn to do certain exercises.
Another option is to sign up for classes, in fact it is the one I recommend, especially at the beginning. Ask in gyms or gymnastics teaching centers, surely there are some classes in which you can start, although it is also possible that you will find the possibility of practicing gymnastics with a trainer all to yourself. Ask about the type of training, the experience the coach has, whether it is team or individual gymnastics, if you are offered the possibility to practice gymnastics because you want to or to participate in competitions, etc.
- When starting to practice gymnastics it is important to take into account the space and the environment, safety is the most important thing. The equipment to be used must be safe, in addition, it is important that there are mats (especially at the beginning) and padded walls or with mats.
- To begin with, do a training program with your trainer, which takes into account the physical level you have, so that it starts at your level and move forward and intensify from there, because if it starts too intense or too slowly you will get tired and stop.
- When you start practicing gymnastics you will start doing exercises on the floor, but you will also be able to do other activities using different equipment such as the balance beam, easel, hoops, etc. Depending on your gender, man or woman you can do some exercises or others, since these exercises require different strength, and the strength that men and women have is also different. I recommend that you try them all and then decide which one you feel most comfortable with and the one you want to exercise the most, if you want to use several pieces of equipment it will be much better when it comes to presenting versatility in the exercises.
- At the beginning we told you how important flexibility is in gymnastics, so the first step should be to work on the flexibility of your whole body, not only your legs, which is what you usually exercise the most, but also your whole body, especially your back, since in gymnastics it is fundamental. You can take advantage of your free time or watching TV or listening to music to stretch at home.
- In addition to flexibility, another important aspect to work on is strength. You may not see very muscular gymnasts, but they are very strong. Strength is important in gymnastics, especially in the aspect of being able to support one’s weight to perform the different activities. Train all the muscles but put special emphasis on the abdominals, biceps, triceps, deltoids, quadriceps or lats. To do this, you can do exercises with weights and also push-ups, pull-ups, etc.
- As you progress, if your trainer doesn’t change the intensity or exercise routine, let them know and try new turns, new jumps, wheels, somersaults, or even try increasing the level on the equipment you already practice or want to try others.
- Consistency and hard work are important, not only practicing gymnastic exercises, but also keeping the body strong and flexible.
- When you’re ready, talk to your coach about entering competitions to advance to a new level.
Tips for getting started with gymnastics
- Warm-ups and stretching are essential when practicing any sport, but in the case of gymnastics they are even more essential. You need to prepare all your muscles and tendons very well beforehand and train them and push them to the limit.
- Chalk in sufficient quantity will be important when using the equipment to do the exercises. You’ll slowly get used to it and recognize the right amount for you.
- If you feel too tired or feel a pull when you do weights, it is better to stop and rest, otherwise you may suffer tears. Gradually increase the weight you take and try to leave good rest times between one workout and another.