In these times of crisis, we are exposed to threats all the time, whether they are thieves, rapists or people who want to attack our security, it is important to learn self-defense, and fortunately we can easily learn defense at home.
What do you need to learn self-defense?
- Internet connection: If you’re reading this blog, it’s obvious that you already have it.
- A partner: With a partner you learn better, since we will be able to make the practical application of self-defense more effectively.
- Protective material: If self-defense is going to be very realistic, we advise mouth guards, gloves, shin guards, mats. All of this ensures the absence of injuries.
- Desire to overcome fear and practice. You must lose the fear of being hit and practice if you want to achieve anything
Instructions for Learning Self Defense
- Know your goals.
Choose the modality to practice according to the goals you have, it is not the same to simply learn to defend yourself a little than to want to be an expert in self-defense arts.
- Choose one martial art or a mixture of several.
Karate focuses on unarmed striking, judo on holds, ju-jitsu focuses on throws, krav-maga is Israeli military defense. Depending on your objectives you can choose one martial art or another, for example to neutralize a rapist on the street, you will need to know where to hit and know how to defend yourself from attacks from behind, in addition to knowing how to defend yourself from weapons, choose a martial art that teaches you how to perform it.
a martial art takes years of dedication, be patient and first learn the basics of self-defense, once you master the basics you can continue learning other concepts and master the martial art, for example it is important to know positions and striking areas than to learn a very advanced key.
- Strengthen your physique.
There is little point in learning a martial art without a physique to back you up, no matter how much you know, if the attacker doubles or triples your physical strength, you will lose the fight. There are many exercises that can be done at home and in doncomos.com, we have a lot of articles on tips for being fit, if you are fit and combine that with knowing self-defense, no one will be able to hurt you easily.
Theory is not of much use, you can watch a thousand martial arts videos but if you do not practice enough, you will not be able to improve or overcome the fear of hitting, get a partner and practice, of course, always with protective equipment such as gloves or mouth guard to avoid injuries.
Tips for Learning Self Defense
- Do not be conflictive: Many people who develop great strength, take advantage of it to overwhelm others, from here we advise you to only use self-defense to defend yourself in extreme cases, you must respect the physical integrity of innocent people.
- Conquer Fear: When you are afraid you are blocked, and that makes you lose a lot of your abilities, most people are stronger than they think and if you are afraid you can lose to rivals weaker than you.
- Prudence: Although you should not be afraid, you should not be reckless either, if for example you do not yet know very well how to neutralize knives, it may be better to give up your money or your belongings than to take a knife and die. That is why we must be realistic with our defense skills, and act according to the situation always without risking our physical integrity.
- Pepper spray: There are certain sprays that are legal and that can be used in case of danger, if it is poured into the attacker’s eyes it will blind him for a few seconds, long enough to run away. Of course, don’t go around throwing it at just anyone, as you can get in trouble with the law.
- Evolve: Perhaps we have a martial arts genius hidden within us, if you have potential, it is highly recommended that you go to a specialized gym and learn the martial art thoroughly, to get ribbons and compete. Having a high belt can give you many advantages such as points in police and civil guard competitions. I work as an instructor, easier in jobs as a security guard or nightclub bouncer. Or it can allow you to develop a career in martial arts combat.