Worrying about our body and weight is a very common and natural problem among all of us. Keeping the body at its ideal weight is vital for our health, since being overweight or underweight can be very dangerous and uncomfortable. Therefore, knowing and maintaining our proper weight is very important for our physical and mental well-being. Along these lines, knowing our Body Mass Index (BMI) is very important and recommended, as this way we can control ourselves at what weight we should maintain to be healthy.
BMI is a measure that associates a person’s mass and height. With this indicator, it is possible to calculate whether a person is really overweight or underweight or, on the contrary, if they are at their ideal weight. In fact, BMI is used to classify a person’s weight status. For all these reasons, today in doncomos.com we explain everything you need to know about how to calculate BMI simply and in four simple steps, so that you can monitor your physical well-being from home.
What do you need to calculate BMI?
- Height gauge or tape measure.
- Conventional calculator.
Instructions for Calculating BMI
- First of all, you should know that the Body Mass Index is a nutritional indicator that is calculated from the following mathematical formula:
In this case, the mass is expressed in kilograms and the square of the height in square meters. Therefore, the result -BMI- would be presented with the unit of measurement kg/m².
- In this sense, you should also know that we are talking about a common calculation for both men and women, so the way to calculate it is exactly the same regardless of your gender. Also, keep in mind that this nutritional index can only be applied to adults, i.e., people over 18 years of age.
- Once you are clear about these concepts, you can proceed to calculate your BMI. To do this, in the first instance you must weigh yourself – use a scale if you have at home, failing that you can also go to a pharmacy. Keep in mind that it will be very important that your weight and height data are fully updated in order to make this calculation accurately and in detail. We recommend that you weigh yourself first thing in the morning, so that your bladder and rectum are empty, that is, we recommend that you do it when you have gone to the bathroom even if it is to urinate; preferably on an empty stomach and underwear. It’s also important that you always do it at the same time of day, so you can make comparisons.
- Next, you need to measure your height. To do this, you can use a height meter or a tape measure that you have at home or, failing that, as we pointed out earlier, you can go to a pharmacy – there is usually a machine specialized in weighing, measuring and automatically calculating your BMI.
- Once you have exactly calculated your weight and height, you can proceed to make the formula that will reveal your BMI. To do this, you must apply the formula by replacing the mass indicator with your exact weight (the kilograms marked on the scale at the time you weighed yourself) and substituting height for your height squared – that is, multiply your height by itself; For example: if you are 1.80 meters tall, you should multiply 1.80 x 1.80 = 3.24 square meters).
- At this point, you will have the formula above in which the mass (kg) should be divided by the lowest figure (height squared). Once this is complete, you can proceed with a conventional calculator to perform this operation: divide the top figure by the bottom number. That is: your mass (kg) / your height squared (m2).
- So that you can check if you are at your ideal weight or, on the contrary, you should take steps to achieve a healthy weight, here is the table with the optimal values:
|25-26,9||Grade I overweight|
|27-29,9||Grade II overweight (pre-obesity)|
|30-34,9||Type I obesity|
|35-39,9||Type II obesity|
|40-49,9||Type III (morbid) obesity|
|>50||Type IV (extreme) obesity|
- Once you have checked your BMI, you should decide if it is necessary for you to go to a specialist – dietitian or doctor – so that they can advise you on a diet or physical exercises so that you can reach your ideal weight and lead a healthier lifestyle.
Tips for Calculating BMI
- Keep in mind that this process can also be done through specialized websites that automatically calculate your BMI with specific calculators for this purpose. So, here we attach a link (www.seedo.es/index.php/imc) so that you can calculate your BMI just by entering your weight and height.
- If your BMI tells you that you are overweight, you can resort to exercise and eating habits that can easily reduce your weight. In this case, we recommend that you do moderate exercise daily and eat fruits and vegetables. In addition, adding berries and fiber-rich foods to your daily diet will also be very useful.