In this technological age it is normal to fight against the so-called sedentary lifestyle. It is a generalized attitude where the person makes the minimum of physical effort, because all day he spends lying in bed watching television or sitting in front of a computer.
He does not practice any type of exercise and overeats, which causes him to have extra weight or become obese. In turn, obesity is at the root of many other diseases, which could end our lives.
Therefore, many doctors recommend exercising at least a couple of days a week. This, with the intention not only to look good, an objective pursued by most people who diet or go to the gym, but also to feel good and avoid the presence of diseases in the future.
One of the most widespread diseases throughout the world is arthritis. The word arthritis is composed of two words: art, which means joint and itis, inflammation. Simply put, arthritis is nothing more than inflammation of the joints.
In addition, this term encompasses the more than 100 different diseases or conditions that affect both the joints and the tissues that surround them, such as muscles and tendons.
Since this is a painful and exhausting disease that affects more and more people, what can you do to avoid it? There are several ways to do this. However, among the most outstanding recommendations is the strengthening of the muscles surrounding the joints, how can you achieve it? Doing the appropriate exercises.
During this short post, I will be sharing with you what are the best exercises to avoid arthritis. Putting them into practice now will help you enjoy better health in the future.
While it is true that, sometimes, either by genetic inheritance or for some other reason, it is possible to have a greater predisposition to develop certain diseases, such as arthritis, many times, whether they occur or not, depends on the lifestyle and habits we have.
As I mentioned earlier, to avoid arthritis it is essential to strengthen the muscles that are near the joints. In addition, exercising regularly helps increase bone density. With less wear and tear on the joints, it is possible to prevent injuries and reduce the risk of osteoarthritis and osteoporosis.
In order to avoid arthritis, you should strive for exercises that make your muscles stronger, your joints more flexible, and give you greater resistance. Among the most recommended exercises are the following:
- Those of range of motion or elasticity. These exercises reduce stiffness and help joints stay flexible. The term “range of motion” refers to the normal distance at which joints can move in different directions. The best way to perform these exercises is lying on your bed or on a sofa, since, in this way, you will not impose weight on the joints.
- Those of strengthening. These will allow you to maintain and increase strength and endurance in your muscles. By having stronger muscles, you will have more stable and protected joints.
- Flexibility and balance exercises. This type of exercise will help you avoid falls and, consequently, the injuries that occur from them. Among the most recommended are tai chi, yoga, standing on one foot, walking backwards, among others.
- Aerobic exercises. They are responsible for strengthening the heart and, therefore, promote the circulation of oxygen in the blood, increasing pulse and breathing.
If your lungs work better, you’ll be able to exercise longer without getting tired. These exercises will also help you sleep better, manage your weight, and improve your overall well-being.
Among the best aerobic exercises are walking, swimming, cycling, etc.
Now that you know what are the best exercises to prevent arthritis, what else do you need to know when it comes to this topic?
What You Need
Some of the things you need to do before starting your exercise routine are:
- Taking a shower with warm water will help you relax your muscles and joints to avoid pain. In addition, you will feel comforted and comfortable.
- Select appropriate clothing and footwear. Clothing, in general, should be loose and comfortable to facilitate different movements. In relation to footwear, this should provide you with good support so that you have stability while you exercise.
- Drink enough water. This practice helps your body function better, remove toxins from the organs and transport more nutrients to the cells. If you don’t drink enough water, your energy will decrease, you will become dehydrated and feel very exhausted.
- Spend 5 to 15 minutes warming up. In this way, you will reduce the possibility of suffering an injury, at the same time that you will be preparing your body for the exercises.
In addition to what I have told you so far, what other recommendations should you keep in mind?
Keep in mind that your exercise program should be gradual. That is, you must go from less to more. In other words, you should not exercise too much during the first few weeks, as this can cause you pain and other similar discomfort.
Perform the exercises at a pace that is comfortable and even, which allows you to talk with your partner without losing your breath. If you maintain this rhythm, the muscles will have a greater amount of time to relax between each repetition.
Breathe properly. Don’t hold your breath. Counting out loud while exercising will help you maintain deep, regular breathing.
When finished, it is important to perform cooling movements for 5 or 15 minutes. To do this, you will only have to repeat the warm-up movements you did at the beginning, but this time you must do them very slowly. This will help reduce pain and get your heart rate and breathing back to normal.