Covid-19 made more than one person aware of the need to exercise. Since they could not leave the house now, it was essential that they begin to devise different types of strategies in order to lead a more active life during the quarantine, since a sedentary lifestyle can have serious consequences.
Some of the risks of leading a sedentary lifestyle are: obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, stroke, type 2 diabetes and even some types of cancer, such as colon, breast and uterine.
In view of this, it is essential to perform activities that keep you moving. Some of them can be dancing, yoga, pilates, etc. However, some could excuse themselves by stating that they have little space in the house to practice any of these alternatives to perform an exercise routine.
However, the truth is that you do not need to have too large a space to exercise. In fact, you can do it in your own room, using a chair as a training tool.
Yes, a chair. Maybe this idea seems a bit strange to you. But the truth is that you can devise an entire workout routine using a chair as a support. If you don’t have the slightest idea how to do it, you don’t have to worry. In this post I will be telling you how you can do it.
This routine is so simple and entertaining that you’ll want to put it into practice today. Best of all, you can include other members of your family, such as children. Thus, you will spend quality time with them, while they stay active.
Remember that exercise has a very positive effect on our health. Therefore, do not miss any detail of what I will be sharing with you. See.
Instructions for exercising with a chair
The fact of performing a training routine with the help of a chair turns out to be a very practical alternative. It prevents you from having to leave your home to the gym and fulfills the same function. You will be surprised to know the number of exercises you can do using it as a support.
Some of the exercises you can do are the following:
One way to do them, while sitting, is by raising your knees to chest level. This is the procedure you should follow is this:
- Sit in the chair with your back upright on it, but without fully resting it on the backrest.
- Place your hands around your hips.
- Keep your legs together and raise your knees to your chest, while contracting your abs.
This exercise will help you tone your biceps. I’ll be showing you two alternatives. The first is as follows:
- Holding a one-liter bottle of water in each hand, flex your elbows lifting the weight.
- Then, lower both arms at the same time, but in a controlled manner.
The other exercise is exactly the same, with the difference that, in this case, you will alter each arm.
Although it is a very simple exercise, it is also very complete, since it not only strengthens the abdominals, but also works the quadriceps and trunk.
- While sitting on the edge of the chair, rest your palms behind your buttocks.
- Then, raise your bent legs and then extend them forward.
With this exercise you can work the middle area of the body, while burning calories. To do this:
- Stand resting your hands on the back of the chair.
- The feet should be separated and supported on the ground.
- Raise your knees to your chest, alternately.
- Start gently and then increase the speed on each climb.
This exercise is ideal as a warm-up, but also at the end of your day’s routine.
- The first thing you have to do is raise one leg and rest it on the chair.
- Then, lower your back to take your foot in flex.
- Pull back, hold on for a few seconds and switch legs
- In order to decongest the muscles of the upper part, sit with your back straight, interlace your fingers and raise your arms above your head, while you have them stretched.
For this exercise, you must have the help of a ball.
- Sit with your back erect and your legs slightly open.
- Descend slowly until you get the ball.
- Then, climb up with your arms stretched over your head.
Buttocks and quadriceps
To perform this exercise, use a towel:
- Hold your leg with the towel and bend it towards the back at ankle height.
- To exercise the buttocks, raise your leg until you rub them with your heel.
- To strengthen your quadriceps, hold this pose and flex the leg you’re using for support a little.
- Then, change limbs so as not to overload them.
What do you need to exercise with a chair?
To successfully perform this training routine, you only need to have the following elements:
- A chair that is firm and has a back, so you can lean on it when needed.
- Two bottles of water of one liter each.
- A ball.
- A hand towel.
- Comfortable clothes to move easily.
- Appropriate sports shoes to avoid slipping and falls.
Tips for exercising with a chair
As you may have noticed, this exercise routine with a chair is quite simple. You don’t need to be a professional to put it into practice. However, make sure that tension occurs when stretching, in order to obtain satisfactory results.
Practice these exercises for 45 minutes a day. You can do it every day or with a rest day in between.
Remember to stay well hydrated. When exercising, more sweating occurs and therefore the chances of you becoming dehydrated increase.
Accompany this exercise routine with a healthy and balanced diet. In this way, after quarantine, you can show off a firm and toned body. In addition, you will be protecting yourself against the dangerous sedentary lifestyle.