Experts say that to lead a healthy life it is necessary to combine at least three elements: a balanced diet, enough sleep and exercise routine.
However, the truth is that, although we know these things, we do not put them into practice for several reasons, one of them is the lack of time. Since we lead increasingly hectic lives, it’s hard to find the time to stop and do things the right way.
If you feel that you must lead a more active life, the solution to the problem may be the steps. It is an exercise, very simple but effective, that you can do from the tranquility of your home when it suits you.
It is a very complete exercise, where you can work at the cardiovascular and muscular level at the same time. It consists of a sequence of movements whose main base is to go up and down a rectangular platform. In fact, its name means Step and refers to the modality of work that is done.
Since there is no age needed to perform this exercise, you can do it in the company of your close friends or family. This way you will feel much more motivated to lead a healthy life, in the midst of your current circumstances.
Of course, you’re probably asking yourself some questions like: What does it take to get started? How should the exercises be done? How much time should be devoted to it? What benefits does it bring to the body? Are there any additional recommendations? If so, today is your lucky day.
Just by reading this short article you can have access to the answers to all these questions and more. So, what are you waiting for? Get down to work and start taking the necessary steps for a healthy life.
Instructions for doing steps
If you want to change your habits and lead a fitness life, start with this exercise to which you can attach many training routines. For example:
- The basic exercise consists of climbing the platform with one leg and then the other, and then going down on your back and following a specific rhythm, as if you were imitating the movement we do when we climb a ladder. It is best to do 3 sets of about 15 repetitions each.
- A different exercise involves raising one leg to the platform and then lifting the knee of the other leg. You have to do this by alternating your legs. In this case. You can also do 3 sets of 15 repetitions.
- If you want to tone your buttocks, it will be of great help to step with one leg and with the other simulate that you are kicking, but backwards. In other words, you should stretch your leg back. Alternate legs until completing a routine of 3 sets with 15 repetitions.
Actually, these are just some of the exercises, there are many more. The key is to perform different combinations of leg movements while going up and down the step.
A session in the gym is divided into the following parts:
- Warm-up: during the first 10 minutes the body is prepared to perform the work. It consists of a very simple choreography on the step, with few repetitions, which help to warm up.
- Aerobic work: through it you work on endurance, cardiovascular capacity and calorie burning. This part usually lasts between 30 and 40 minutes and is more complex because movements and repetitions are added.
- Muscle work: consists of focusing the work on the muscle groups that are in the background while giving attention to the aerobic part. That is, back, arms and abs.
- Stretching: these are the last minutes of the class, which are dedicated to stretching and relaxing the muscles of the body.
The choreography can be complicated until it becomes a real challenge for those who practice it.
What are its benefits?
Among the benefits we find the following:
- Increased physical endurance.
- Developing and improving coordination.
- It favors the elimination of toxins thanks to sweating.
- Improves circulation.
- Increases the force in the lower train.
- Increases flexibility.
- It helps release endorphins, which helps with anxiety, depression, and stress issues.
- Tones the muscles of the buttocks and legs by eliminating cellulite or orange peel.
- Stimulates memory thanks to the repetition of movements.
What do you need to do steps?
If what you are looking for is to lose weight, the steps is the way to achieve it, since it has been shown that doing so you can burn calories faster than doing classic aerobics, zumba or going for a run.
To achieve this, you can practice it for at least an hour. That way the body will begin to eliminate accumulated or reserve fat. If you do it for 30 or 45 minutes, you will be able to firm your muscles and other benefits.
During a single class you can burn more than 500 calories. This amount is exceeded when you participate at an advanced level, that is, with a complex choreography and at a higher pace. So, it’s worth a try, you don’t lose anything by doing it.
Tips for doing steps
The most common are related to impact. People who have problems with joints in the knees or ankles should not practice steps. It is best to carry out activities of less impact.
It is also contraindicated in the following cases:
- Heart problems.
- Eye problems.
- Retinal detachment.
- Pulmonary insufficiency.
- Spinal injuries.
Recommendations you should take into account
In order to have a good execution and avoid injuries, before starting to practice this activity it is important that you take into account some additional recommendations:
- When climbing to the platform supports the entire sole of the foot. Place it in the center of the platform without protruding anywhere. Otherwise, you could lose your balance and fall or suffer an injury.
- Climb with smooth and rhythmic movements. Avoid stomping.
- When you go down, support first the tip of your foot and then your heel to protect your calf and ankle muscles.
- Keep your body aligned with your shoulders back.
- Push the movement with your whole body, without pulling forward from the hips upwards.
- Don’t lock your knees or contract your legs.
- Keep your legs semi-flexed and ready for the reaction.
- Do not exceed the suggested time to avoid straining the muscles of your body. Especially if you are not used to exercising or lead a very sedentary life.
It may cost you a little at first. Practicing this sport requires some time to become familiar and adapt. So don’t be discouraged. Be patient. Since you will improve as you practice it.
Drink enough water before, during, and after your workout routine to stay hydrated and not put your health at risk. The most important thing is that you enjoy it and have fun doing steps.