Do you like water sports? These are the favorite of many, since with them it is possible to exercise a large number of muscles and best of all, as the body is denser than water, it can float and thus reduce the impact on joints, such as the ankles, knees and hips, among others.
Moreover, it should be noted that these sports are a lot of fun. While it is true that swimming is the best known, it is not the only one that exists today. Actually, there is a wide variety of places to choose, taking into account your tastes, but also your specific needs.
One of the water activities that has gained more popularity in recent years is aquagym, also known as aquatic gymnastics. Since a series of elements are incorporated to practice it, we could say that it is a very varied activity.
Have you heard of it? Probably yes. Would you like to practice it? If so, you’ve come to the right place. In this article you will find everything you need to know about aquagym, including its description, what you need to practice it, its exercises, its benefits and contraindications.
By having this information handy, you will know if it is a viable option for you, taking into account both your background and your expectations. On the other hand, if you have not yet decided to practice it, this can be a great incentive.
You can even do it from home, if you have a pool large and deep enough to have the expected effect. With the help of an explanatory video, you can do your training routine whenever you want and at the most opportune time. But, let’s see right now what it is and how to practice it.
Instructions for doing aquagym
Aquagym is nothing more than a modality of aquatic gymnastics, which is also known as aquatic fitness. It involves performing a series of aerobic exercises, done in an aquatic environment, to the rhythm of music under the supervision and guidance of a qualified monitor.
As the name implies, it should be done inside the water with the head on the outside. It can be done in a pool or by the sea. Accessory or materials can be implemented, such as fins, foam strips, dumbbells, gloves, balls, elastic bands and even machines such as bicycles or aquatic steps.
These exercises have as main objective to exercise the muscles. However, they also manage to increase the endurance and strength of the body. In addition, when performed in the water, it stimulates cardiovascular activity, since it merits constant movements.
There are different modalities of aquagym, which vary depending on the exercises performed and the resistance of each person. In addition, aquagym is also divided into levels.
Its basic level only lasts about 30 minutes and its purpose is to improve or correct posture. The intermediate level lasts 40 to 45 minutes and includes exercises with a higher level of difficulty executed with more speed. As for the advanced level, the resistance must be equal to or greater than 45 minutes and the movements are perfected through choreographies.
What do you need to do aquagym?
- Aerobics: They are performed in order to increase the heart rate, as well as stimulate the production of oxygen. This favors the activity of the heart, lungs and blood vessels. Especially when practiced with a moderate intensity. Some of these exercises are walking and running, but also swimming and cycling, which can also be done with aquagym.
- Those of resistance or strength: these exercises are those that are performed with the aim of improving posture and toning muscles. These movements are made before an object that offers resistance, such as water. This resistance causes the muscles to become stronger and acquire a specific shape.
- Those of flexibility: are the exercises that are responsible for stimulating muscle elasticity. This helps to keep the joints in good condition, while reducing the risk of suffering some type of injury, improving posture, breathing and muscle strength.
For this and much more, aquagym is an excellent sport for all types of people, but especially for people with muscle or joint problems, as well as for those who must perform some type of rehabilitation.
On the other hand, it is a sport that can be practiced by those who have little physical condition, pregnant women, the elderly or overweight.
If you want to practice aquagym, you need to know what its benefits are. Knowing this will end up motivating you to want to try, if possible, right now.
Tips for doing aquagym
- Since in the water your weight is reduced between 80 and 90%, this sport becomes a low impact one. That is, your body does not suffer and any possibility of suffering some type of injury is considerably diminished.
- It is ideal for those who suffer from back problems, joint pain, sclerosis or any other ailment in the extremities, especially in the legs.
- It is considered one of the best allies for those who wish to model their figure. Since these are low-impact exercises and your body weight is reduced, when performing simple exercises, your muscles work with greater intensity, even if you do not realize it.
- Thanks to aquagym you can improve your silhouette, tone the chest and buttocks, refine the abs, etc. In addition, it allows you to burn at least 600 calories in just 30 minutes of exercise, the same as you would burn in an hour and a half on dry land.
- Moreover, water movements have a positive impact on the skin. They apply a massage that helps stimulate circulation and, therefore, reduce fluid retention and the much hated cellulite or orange peel.
- However, in addition to improving your musculature, it also helps you stimulate your cardiovascular rhythm, improve blood circulation and respiratory tone.
- It brings great benefits to mental health, since, after practicing it, it leaves a relaxing effect and a feeling of lightness. Also, since it causes the segregation of endorphins, it generates a feeling of well-being and pleasure.
- In addition, because it is a collective sport, it gives you the opportunity to interact with others and have a pleasant and fun time.
- Anyone can practice it, no matter what their physical condition, age, sex or weight. In fact, it is highly recommended for pregnant women who suffer from muscle aches.
- It is not necessary that you know how to swim, since to practice it, you must be standing and, therefore, it takes place in the shallower part of the pool.
- Since you’re in the water, your body doesn’t overheat, which makes you sweat less and feel less fatigued and exhausted.
- The different elements that make it up, such as music, teammates, coach, materials and the exercises themselves, make aquagym a very fun sport.
- It is an excellent sport for the summer season, since you can exercise without having to suffer or deal with inclement weather.
- Since water makes the body more resistant, the joints increase their range of motion, which implies that the flexibility of the body is increased.
As you have been able to realize, aquagym is very beneficial for your health. Therefore, it is one of the most recommended by experts in the field. However, before you decide to practice it or not, it is important that you know both sides of the coin and be aware of what their contraindications are.
Since it is not a risk-free sport, so that you can enjoy the experience as much as possible, it is important that you know what its limitations are.
Some of its disadvantages have to do with the point of view of practicality. For example, it cannot be practiced if you do not have access to a swimming pool or, failing that, to the sea. Moreover, in addition to paying for classes, in most cases it is necessary to cancel the membership that gives access to the training place.
It is also necessary to have personnel that is highly qualified so that the training is adequate and of quality.
In addition, aquagym is a sport where there is a considerable expenditure of energy, in fact, one greater than that generated by other types of sport, despite the fact that its exercises are slower.
In case you suffer from a specific disease or have a health problem, it is always recommended that you consult with a specialist before performing any type of physical activity, no matter what it is.
Despite the above, there are many more advantages than disadvantages. Therefore, what are you waiting for to start practicing aquagym? Search the Internet for the closest places to your home to practice it or, if you have a pool at home, find out if there are possibilities of receiving classes online.
No matter what the case, don’t forget to invite a couple of friends or family. This will make the experience much better, more fun, pleasurable and stimulating.
Keep in mind that, if your purpose is to lose weight, for you to obtain better results, you must accompany the exercises with a balanced diet and adequate water consumption.
If you take into account these recommendations, you can get visible results in a very short time, while enjoying the pleasant experience of practicing aquagym.