It is very important when doing exercises with dumbbells that you know what type of weight you are able to lift, how many repetitions you can do with that weight and of course, what your physical capacity is at the time of starting.
It is very important to know, because it is not the same a person who has experience and knows what he does or is used to doing sports to a person who is not used to it. If, from the outset, you want to start with weight and strength exercises and you are not used to it, you can run the risk of injuring yourself and causing damage. Therefore, you have to know what your capabilities are, how far you can go and of course, when you know, give your best and not stay in the same weight.
You will increase the weight of the dumbbells as you perform the exercises, improving and having more experience and your body can with the kilos.
Instructions for choosing the weight of the dumbbells
- Whenever it is the first time you are going to take weight and exercise with the weights (dumbbells) it is convenient that you ask and observe how it is done. Going crazy only brings injuries that, in some cases, can be serious. Therefore, if you have the possibility of going to the gym, always ask the trainer for advice.
- In the case of doing, it at home, do not worry. You can do it too. But it is always better to do it with a low weight. In this way, you will have a first contact, you will progress with the exercises, you will perfect them and thus, you will be able to raise the weights.
- In case you are a novice or have doubts with weights, always preferable, small weights. Eye, one thing is little weight and another that is almost ridiculous. For example, half a kilo would be considered ridiculous (cases would be valued, of course) but to do, for example, strength exercises, to build muscle, etc. Well, nothing will be achieved…
- Nor will I say that a man or a woman almost always has more strength because it is not always true and because it seems very macho to me. There are women who have a lot of strength and look very skinny and men who are all volume and can barely lift a few weights of one hundred kilos. Therefore, let’s leave the comparative cases and as each case should be looked at and known individually, we will only comment on “above” to avoid injuries and broadly speaking. It does not matter the sex or gender of each person.
- For a person who begins to start or who has not entered for a long time, the convenient thing would be a weight of at least two kilos of weight. But beware, if you start strength training, you want to increase volume, burn fat, etc. You need weight and leave your skin in the repetitions. Therefore, the weight increase it whenever you can to about four kilos at least and nine kilos. That would be a weight of the dumbbells to start giving everything.
- The important thing in these cases is that the repetitions that are done with the weights, cost you. That it is not light, that you do not do them almost without disheveling or without sweating or leaving your skin. If so, then it is clearly telling you that you should increase the weight.
- If you notice that each exercise costs you (not to injure yourself) we talk about normal fatigue. So, you’re on the right track.
- When you start with the exercises it is always better to know how far you can do and go. Do not try right away to do exercises with weights of one hundred and fifty kilos, worse example. Because if you can’t and you don’t have strength, it’s and you can cause serious injuries.
- There is an exercise that is very good to know how far you can go with the weights and their strength. That exercise is the bicep curl. Surely, they advise you to do it in the exercise tables for arms. In this way, you can assess what weights you can take and with which, you no longer control well.
- How do you know that the weight is no longer that you get tired, it is that you cannot with it really? Well, at the same time you try to do the exercise and check that you cannot do it well or you do it badly to support that weight. Immediately, lose kilos.
- How do you know when it’s your turn to gain weight and increase it? The moment that after the exercise sessions and with the repetitions, you begin to notice that it is no longer difficult for you to do it. That is, instead of fifteen or twenty repetitions of each exercise you could even do more, without problems. That’s the time to turn up the weight.
- The ideal and whenever you can afford it would be convenient and you would do very well, to be able to get a set of dumbbells of different types of weights. If you can’t afford to buy several and different weights, try buying the bar and the weight discs. In the end, it is a weight and the weight of the bar (which already adds) and the discs that are the weights that you add to it are added.
- If you can go to the gym, all the better. You will pay the monthly fee, but you will save buying the material that in the end is more expensive and takes up a lot of space.
- Assess what type of exercises are the ones that interest you most or are going to do. It will not be the same to do, for example, arm or upper body exercises, then lower train. From the famous strides, squats, buttock kick, etc.
- If your wrists hurt usually, if you can, get a pair of wristbands to be able to do the exercises with weights. It will hold your wrists and thus, you will not be injured. And gloves also go very well for people who slip dumbbells from sweat or get wounds on their hands.
What do you need to choose the weight of the dumbbells?
- Whenever possible, to get started, go to a gym.
- Try to be able to pay a coach so that he can advise you well and help you.
- A set of dumbbells of different weights to be able to vary with the weights and exercises.
Tips for choosing the weight of the dumbbells
As we always say, it is preferable whenever you have no knowledge of the exercises, that you go to a gym so that the trainer can help you and advise you. Or, hire a personal trainer.
But if you can’t afford it, then consider your exercise capacity, fitness, and strength.
If you can get several dumbbells of different types of weights, so much the better. But if not, start with something that is neither too low nor too heavy. It is advisable that in the same place where you buy them, you can try it. Do for example an exercise like the bicep curl. You will see then, with what weight if you can and with which you already find it very difficult to do the exercise well. If you cannot do it well, it is that the weight is too much for you and if you do it without problems or tired, it must be higher.
Keep that detail in mind. Always careful to be able to do the exercises well, getting tired, but without injuring yourself or being too much. When you get used to that weight, then, go for a higher weight so that the muscle continues to progress and you improve. If the body gets used to a weight, it does not work and you will not progress.